Speaker - Fiona Ritchie, Keeping a Healthy Mouth
- Dry mouth
- this can exacerbated by some drugs and Fiona will send through a list of drugs that do cause this; as well as the effect of auto –
- accelerates the loss of teeth
- there are varying products available to help obtained either by prescription or over the counter.
- Cleaning teeth
- Use toothpaste without SLS
- Sensodyne pastes do not contain SLS but not all the tastes are ‘good’
- Suggest that mouth is rinsed first and then clean teeth with dry brush and no water, using only a pea sized lump of paste.
- Fiona provided some sample of alternative brushes, Moutheze, to use when mouth is sore.
- Corsodyl mouth rinse or gel has very limited use.
- Oralieve/corsodyl gel could be used and suggested that food flavourings can be added to help disguise or promote a better ‘flavour’ to promote usage.
- Biotene includes glycerine which encourages dryness, equally Vaseline use only protects skin and does not absorb into skin. Oralieve would be a good
- Oralieve for nightime use – with or without added flavouring.
- Dentipur is a good fixative for dentures.
- Cleaning dentures need only be cleaned with toothpaste or just water.
- DO NOT use Steradent.
A member of the group brought a new product recommended by dental hygienist, BioMin which Fiona will investigate but her first impressin was that as a toothpaste
was not particularly good but may have other uses.
Fiona also briefly mentioned that it would help the dry mouth if it was kept ph neutral, particularly on a bad day of soreness and /or mouth ulcers. She will send
through a list of foods that are ph neutral.